WEMPEC professors work with UW-Madison’s Department of Engineering Professional Development to provide many continued education short courses relating to their areas of expertise. WEMPEC sponsoring companies qualify for a discount rate on these courses.
Upcoming Short Courses
AC Machine Design Fundamentals
Apr 9-11, 2019
Through a building-block teaching approach, you will develop a basic understanding of AC electric machine design. By learning the core concepts of electromagnetic laws for machine design, magnetic circuit calculations, loss mechanisms, analytical design techniques, and other essential topics, you will improve your skills, and ultimately, your work. Recent developments in AC electric machine design also will be covered in this course.
Introduction to Electric Machines and Drives
Apr 23-25, 2019
In the last 30 years, the introduction of power electronic drives with motors has led to new design opportunities. The increased integration of these drives and machines has triggered a quantum leap in productivity, efficiency and system performance. This practical, hands-on course will give you a solid introduction to this rapidly expanding field under the guidance of industry experts.
Introduction to Electrical Energy Storage
May 21-23, 2019
Energy storage—particularly batteries—is an emerging technology that you need to develop competitive products for energy and power systems. Learn how to use energy storage and batteries in new and existing energy applications by understanding their weight, volume, cost, life, reliability, safety and system integration.
In this course, you will:
- Understand batteries’ basic chemistry
- Identify the advantage and disadvantages of using alternative battery types
- Understand the figure of merits, energy, and power density limits of each electrical energy storage component type
- Examine battery testing standards, battery charging systems and state of charge measurement techniques
- Learn about hybrid systems using batteries
- Understand safety and second-life use of batteries
- Learn about a variety of applications such as automotive and grid-energy storage systems
Power Electronics Design Boot Camp
June 11-13, 2019
Power electronics is a critical technology that requires multi-disciplinary design knowledge. This course will teach you how to develop competitive products utilizing many core disciplines needed for power electronic design.
You will learn to master critical subjects for effective design of power electronics, like EMI/EMC, thermal, and reliability design and selection. Expert instructors in the field will teach you to analyze and control power electronic design. They will also expose you to new power electronic devices like Silicon Carbide (SiC) and Gallium Nitride (GaN) devices.
Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Boot Camp
June 26-28, 2019
Advance your knowledge in various power conversion technologies for the hybrid and the electric vehicle in this intermediate to advanced course. You will learn about architectures, electric machines, power electronics, and energy storage technologies and their application in this rapidly evolving, multi-disciplinary industry.
Upon completing this course, you will understand:
- Hybridization levels and types (micro, mild, full, plug-in, and extended range hybrid vehicles, and battery electric vehicle)
- Driving cycles and fuel economy test methods
- Traction motor and generator choices and pro’s and con’s
- Critical concepts such as field weakening and fault tolerance
- Traction drive power electronics and dc/dc converters
- Batteries and supercapacitors for traction applications
- Battery management and battery-charging systems including wireless charging
- Vehicle dynamics, driving cycles, and torque and power performance requirements
- Subjects such as new wide bandgap switching devices (SiC and GaN) for traction applications
- Turbo and super charging using electric motors
Fundamentals of Solar Power Plant Design
July 24-26, 2019
Learn the design fundamentals of photovoltaic projects. Gain knowledge and skills from engineers with real-life experience in solar energy and electrical delivery fields. You will also understand solar plant components and PV modules; DC system and AC collector design; civil and geotechnical issues; and interconnection to distribution and the bulk power grid.
Permanent Magnet Machines and Drives: Principles, Design and Applications
July 30-Aug 1, 2019
This course will provide you with a comprehensive understanding of permanent magnet AC machines, including the basics and major topologies, how to design permanent magnet machines, and much more. Learn the various applications of PM machines, the fundamentals of synchronous machines and machine modeling, and the major PM machine topologies.
See a complete list of all Power Electronics and Drives short courses
AC Machine Design Fundamentals – Induction Motors, PM Motors, Mechanical Design, Thermal Design, and FEA Examples