Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Niles
The Senior Engineer (level 3), Motor Test reports to Technical Leadership and whose focus is performing design and support of moderate to high complexity test systems and equipment, mentoring to other Engineers and supporting process improvements. This position works under a moderate to low level of supervision. Independent technical decisions on work are covered by precedents; this position seeks direction/guidance on novel or controversial problems. In addition, this position may participate in project-specific relationship building with Customers, Suppliers, individuals or organizations; and will principally support motor development and design verification efforts.
- Plans, schedules and coordinates detailed phases of a project.
- Devises new approaches to problems encountered.
- Performs work which involves conventional engineering practices and standards, but includes a variety of complex features, such as conflicting design requirements, non-standard tools, materials, or equipment and difficult coordination requirements.
- Designs, supports, improves and tests moderate to high complexity test systems and equipment. Ensures designs meet testability and reliability criteria. Independently troubleshoots/analyzes component/system problems.
- Participates in and promotes process improvements within assigned areas; assists with the development of department and organization procedures
- Participates in creation and evaluation of new product test requirements, test strategies and provides estimates for new test equipment.
- Sets technical direction on projects to Level 1 and 2 Engineers and Technicians.
- Perform lead design engineer role on complex test systems, including small group leadership and system specification ownership.
- May provide repair and maintenance support of test systems.
- May fabricate test systems as required.
- May participate in international and multi-site projects.
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS
- Solid design and implementation of measurement systems and test procedures for electric machines
- Basic knowledge of electric machine design theory, manufacturing processes, and control methods
- Train other members of the test team and production technicians on theory and design of existing test equipment.
- Solid knowledge of software-based analysis tools including editing, scripting, simulation, version control, etc.
- Independent testing of electric machines, trouble-shooting, motor/controller integration
- Compiles and writes documentation of program development and subsequent revisions. Provides guidance to users on program functioning. Develops user manuals and training materials
- Perform operating point analysis of components and systems with supervision, using tools and methods developed by others, such as hydraulic, compressible flow, stress and control theory
Materials and Equipment Used:
- PC and related equipment.
- Advanced engineering knowledge; complete understanding of component function and testing requirements. Understands manufacturing processes, drawings and standards. Fully understands a system and its components.
- Advanced written/verbal communication skills and presentation skills; solid technical writing skills (procedures, reports, etc.).
- Advanced problem solving & troubleshooting skills and analytical calculation skills.
- Competent knowledge of accuracy analyses, instrumentation calibration theory and tolerance stack-ups.
- Solid use of PCs and associated software.
- Effective time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize based on business needs.
- Ability to effectively operate in the project team environment and communicate with customers.
- Participates in setting technical direction.
- Advanced knowledge of physical systems and the physics thereof.
- Proficient use and understanding of analytic, modeling, and/or design software/tools as appropriate.
- Knowledge in multiple groups of test systems.
- Strong knowledge of appropriate internal information management system (ie. ERP, MRP, PLC and Document Storage system) applications.
Education or Formal Training:
- Bachelor’s degree in Technical/Science or International equivalent required.
- Strong Six Sigma tools knowledge required.
- Six Sigma Green Belt training preferred.
- Professional certifications preferred (ie. National Instruments Lab View, Test Stand Certificate, etc.).
- Greater than 4 years professional engineering experience or a combination of experience and advanced degree required.
Woodward is an independent designer, manufacturer, and service provider of control solutions for the aerospace and energy markets. Our aerospace systems and components optimize the performance of fixed wing and rotorcraft platforms in commercial, business and military aircraft, ground vehicles and other equipment. Our energy-related systems and components enhance the performance of industrial gas and steam turbines, reciprocating engines, compressors, wind turbines, electrical grids and other energy-related industrial equipment. The company’s innovative fluid energy, combustion control, electrical energy, and motion control systems help customers offer cleaner, more reliable and more efficient equipment. Our customers include leading original equipment manufacturers and end users of their products.Woodward is an Equal Opportunity EmployerEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veterans
This position requires use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR and EAR, or possess all required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State Department and the U.S. Department of Commerce. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. ‘Green Card Holder’), Political Asylee, or Refugee.