At Trane TechnologiesTM and through our businesses including Trane® and Thermo King®, we create innovative climate solutions for buildings, homes, and transportation that challenge what’s possible for a sustainable world. We’re a team that dares to look at the world’s challenges and see impactful possibilities. We believe in a better future when we uplift others and enable our people to thrive at work and at home. We boldly go.
We are hiring a Senior Engineer, Electrical Machines within the Electrical Systems and Components (ES&C) Network of Excellence in our global Corporate Advanced Technologies organization. Our organization’s role is to identify, develop, deliver, and deploy leading-edge technologies to our businesses that enable product and service growth and enhancement. As the Senior Engineer, you will play an important role in shaping the technology roadmap and strategy in the domain area of electrical machines and motors, and its application to HVAC products and services. This role will involve leading and developing key technologies to enable adaptation of electric motors in Trane Technologies’ HVAC systems and accelerate electrification of the portfolio. This position will directly support key enterprise initiatives of electrification and decarbonization to meet sustainability goals of 1GT CO2e reductions by 2030. This role is expected to serve as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) within the area of Electric Machines globally for the company. This role will Influence technical direction through external partners, relationships, and by demonstrating applicability of new tech in the product portfolio. The role will also be to manage and contribute technically to key strategic projects.
This position will work in a Hybrid work environment.
Core Responsibilities (others may be added):
- Develop and maintain the advanced technology roadmap of electric motors applications within the company’s product portfolio, working with relevant cross functional teams.
- Perform motor selection and qualification and enable design optimizations on selected and qualified components.
- Act as a technology liaison between SBUs and motors vendors/suppliers, translating the business requirements to technical and vice-versa.
- Develop and apply various Motor performance models to derive system performance and broaden the selection opportunities for new Projects.
- Acting as an SME in the domain, lead internal technology forums, support solution of complex quality problems, and provide technical inputs via project gate reviews.
- Work with relevant business partners and the enterprise PLM, to bring clarity on motor requirements and associated suppliers across the company, enabling design/part reuse & supporting an effective procurement strategy.
- Develop project plans, prioritize tasks, and provide regular project updates.
- Author lab test plans, conduct testing, analyze and interpret results and execute design updates based on the results.
- Partner with Technology Strategy teams to actively scout for external funding opportunities in the domain area and provide inputs in Lead the evaluation of new and innovative technologies as they appear for potential commercial value, either as disruptive competition or prospective new products or services for the company.
- Network across the organization to identify and communicate opportunities to assess and apply next gen technology to product/services portfolio.
- Overnight travel is required, approximately 10%.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering and at least 7 years’ of work experience in electrical machines and/or electrical motor design is required.
- Master’s Degree or PhD is preferred.
- Excellent technical and product knowledge in electrical motors and machines design, selection, and qualification, with the ability to consolidate and communicate learnings to drive strategy that addresses business needs.
- Demonstrated capability to lead technical projects as a technology expert in the specified area, also providing key technical inputs to other teams.
- Good understanding of relevant agency standards.
- Experience with 2D and 3D FEM and circuit simulation tools such as Ansys Maxwell or equivalent.
- Experience with vibration, acoustic and harmonic issues in inverter fed motors and developed solutions to mitigate undesired effects.
- Experience with test equipment such as dynamometer, oscilloscopes, etc., following the industry test standards.
- Experience with prototyping, testing, modeling, and validating machine performance.
- Knowledge of motor thermal design including modelling.
- Basic knowledge of power electronics and motor drives.
- Knowledge of manufacturing techniques for electrical machines.
- Deep intellectual curiosity and Industrial awareness.
- Ability to define technology strategies aligned with enterprise goals, with inputs from multiple stakeholders.
- Must be an innovative self-starter capable of setting and meeting goals and deadlines.
- Understanding of the motor failure modes, and associated root cause analysis.
- Experience and familiarity working in a research-oriented environment.
- Professional experience of leading, mentoring or coaching other employees or teams.
- Demonstrated thought leadership and innovation in electrified systems and components.
- Knowledge of residential, commercial, and transport HVAC products, systems and processes.
- Highly capable of performing independently and/or coordinating group efforts for complex, advanced engineering tasks.
Annual Compensation Range is $75,000 to $140,000 annually. Disclaimer: This salary range is based on US national averages. Actual pay could be a result of seniority/experience level, merit and geographic location where the actual work is performed.