At Trane TechnologiesTM and through our businesses including Trane® and Thermo King®, we create innovative climate solutions for buildings, homes, and transportation that challenge what’s possible for a sustainable world. We’re a team that dares to look at the world’s challenges and see impactful possibilities. We believe in a better future when we uplift others and enable our people to thrive at work and at home. We boldly go.
The Power Electronics R&D Co-op shall support the Advanced Technologies group with key contributions in the areas of motor control development and validation, hardware design, modelling and simulation as well as testing of newly developed circuits on benchtop as well as in application.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Firm grasp of engineering fundamentals
- Self-motivated, willing to take initiative, able to function effectively in independent and team based situations.
- Ability to work in a laboratory environment for extended duration, author test plans, coordinate testing with lab staff and reviewing results.
- Must be adept at report writing and presenting technical information to a wide audience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required with good interpersonal skills, able to express concepts and ideas with clarity
- Multiple areas centered around electric drives and motors including modelling and simulation, controls, HIL simulation and validation and hardware design.
- Understand drive motor control algorithm for various motor types
- Perform in-depth analysis utilizing analytical tools available in the industry.
- Maintain a high level of technical knowledge in the areas of electric drives to maximize productivity, quality and drive business growth.
- Author lab test plans, conduct testing, analyze and interpret results and execute design updates based on the results.
- Provide guidance and leadership to designers, lab technicians and other team members.
- Develop project plans, prioritize tasks, and provide regular project updates.
- Write clear technical reports and present results in formal and informal environments.
- Masters or PhD candidate in the field of Power Electronics, Controls or Machines
- 3.25 GPA minimum required
- Proficient knowledge of MATLAB – Simulink modelling, script development, GUI’s
- Working proficiency in developing and testing hardware circuit boards in a benchtop scale.
- 1-2 years of similar co-op/intern or work experience.
- Working knowledge of control systems for power electronics including – motor drives, active filters, DC/DC converters, battery management and magnetic bearing systems.
- Experience with Hardware In Loop (HIL) based platforms such as Typhoon and Speedgoat is desired.