At Trane Technologies® we Challenge Possible. Our brands – including Trane® and Thermo King® – create access to cooling and comfort in buildings and homes, transport and protect food and perishables, connect customers to elevated performance with less environmental impact, dramatically reduce energy demands and carbon emissions, and innovate with a better world in mind. We boldly challenge what’s possible for a sustainable world.
Develop modelling and simulations of electric drives and motors and incorporate into hardware-in-the loop (HIL) systems. This position will involve working in state-of-the-art laboratories with subject matter experts.
- White Bear Lake, MN (ideal)
- La Crosse, WI
- Multiple areas centered around electric drives and motors including modelling and simulation, controls, finite element analysis, HIL simulation and validation etc.
- Support the implementation of motor model and controls for a HIL based test platform.
- Commission a benchtop simulator of a Motor Emulator system using a real time platform like Speedgoat.
- Develop automated test scripts.
- Interface with USA, Finland and India modeling and simulation groups to look for opportunities for common integration.
- Understand drive motor control algorithm for various motor types.
- Perform in-depth analysis utilizing analytical tools available in the industry.
- Maintain a high level of technical knowledge in the areas of electric drives to maximize productivity, quality and drive business growth.
- Author lab test plans, conduct testing, analyze and interpret results and execute design updates based on the results.
- Provide guidance and leadership to designers, lab technicians and other team members.
- Develop project plans, prioritize tasks, and provide regular project updates.
- Write clear technical reports and present results in formal and informal environments.
- Maintain/develop software tools to improve development, testing, and trouble shooting.
- Work with software, mechanical, and reliability engineers across Trane Technologies to develop system requirements.
- Support development of qualification test standards for power electronics.
- 50% travel to La Crosse, WI
- Masters or PhD candidate in the field of Power Electronics, Controls or Machines.
- 3.0 GPA minimum required.
- 1-2 years of similar co-op/intern or work experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of MATLAB – Simulink modelling, script development, GUI’s. Proficiency required.
- Experience with Hardware In Loop(HIL) based platforms such as Opal-RT, Speedgoat, dSPACE is desired
- Self-motivated, willing to take initiative, able to function effectively in independent and team based situations.
- Firm grasp of engineering fundamentals.
- Ability to work in a laboratory environment for extended duration, author test plans, coordinate testing with lab staff and reviewing results.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required with good interpersonal skills, able to express concepts and ideas with clarity.
- Ability to lead others without direct supervisory responsibilities.
Contact Information: If you are interested in this position or would like to learn more about it, contact Kyle Hanson at firstname.lastname@example.org