At Trane TechnologiesTM and through our businesses including Trane® and Thermo King®, we create innovative climate solutions for buildings, homes, and transportation that challenge what’s possible for a sustainable world. We’re a team that dares to look at the world’s challenges and see impactful possibilities. We believe in a better future when we uplift others and enable our people to thrive at work and at home. We boldly go.
We are seeking a Power Electronics Engineer who will lead and develop key technologies to enable adaptation of electric drives and motors on Trane’s refrigeration systems. This position will involve working in state-of-the-art laboratories with multi-disciplinary subject matter experts in addition to interacting with global teams to leverage capabilities in areas of product development and application. This role will be situated within a global Network of Excellence at Trane Technologies whose charter is to lead the advancement of new technology adaption into various HVAC systems. This role is expected to serve as a Subject Matter Expert within the area of Power Conversion globally for all of Trane Technologies.
Core Job Responsibilities (others may be added):
- Support the hardware and control architecture development of Power Electronic components for HVAC applications.
- Support application of 3rd party VFD modules on Trane’s HVAC platforms including authoring qualification test plans, DFMEA analysis, tuning parameters for optimal pairing with motors etc.
- Provide guidance and leadership to designers, lab technicians and other team members.
- Identify opportunities for the utilization of emerging power electronics technologies in HVAC applications.
- Maintain expert level knowledge in the areas of electric drives, motor control and active filters.
- Design, implement, and test advanced digital control algorithms in the areas of motor control, and active power filtering.
- Create simulation models for control design using MATLAB/Simulink and/or PSIM.
- Implement real-time control algorithms for product deployment using code generation.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive requirements specifications for hardware and software.
- Develop project plans, prioritize tasks, and provide regular project updates.
- Author lab test plans, conduct testing, analyze and interpret results and execute design updates based on the results.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent discipline) and at least 3 years of work experience in power electronics product development is required.
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering with a focus on Power Electronics, Controls or Machines is preferred.
- Strong experience in motor control algorithms and general closed loop control concepts.
- Working/theoretical knowledge of power electronic systems including – DC/DC converters, battery management and magnetic bearing systems.
- Previous experience working in application and testing of motor drives on complex electromechanical systems.
- Full-cycle product development experience from concept development to manufacturing readiness and field trials.
- Strong understanding in areas of firmware/software development as well as electronic hardware development.
- Experience with Hardware in Loop (HIL) based platforms such as Opal-RT, Speedgoat, dSPACE is desired.
- Self-motivated, willing to take initiative, able to function effectively in independent and team-based situations.
- Ability to work in a laboratory environment, author test plans, coordinate testing with lab staff and reviewing results.
- Must be adept at report writing and presenting technical information to a wide audience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required with good interpersonal skills, able to express concepts and ideas with clarity.
- Ability to work with integrity to achieve results as part of multidisciplinary teams in a global environment.
We are committed to helping you reach your professional, personal and financial goals. We offer competitive compensation that aligns with our business strategies and comprehensive benefits to help you live your healthiest. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse culture that engages as well as values the different backgrounds and experiences of our employee, which, in turn, spurs innovation, generates creative solutions and enhances our customer relations.
- La Crosse, WI
- White Bear Lake, MN
- Davidson, NC
Annual Compensation Range is $70,000 to $123,000 annually. Disclaimer: This salary range is based on US national averages. Actual pay could be a result of seniority/experience level, merit and geographic location where the actual work is performed.
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits and programs. We are an equal opportunity employer; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any legally protected status.