Employment Type Full Time
Percent Travel 0-20%
Physical Location Headquarters & Technology Center – Auburn Hills
Location Code 1250
Department 7870 – Electric Drive Systems
Compensation Category Mid-Level Professional
Hiring Manager Dhafar Al-Ani
Job Description The Electric Motor Technical Specialist is responsible for the E-Motors’ Control Strategy for automotive electrification applications. This role includes the development of the control algorithms (design and specification) of different E-Motors for all types of Electrified Propulsions (LV/HV for MHEVs, PHEVs, and BEVs). Also, this role will provide technical assistance to other E-Motor Design Aspects. The Engineer will coordinate prototype build and dyno test activities. He/she will stay abreast of new E-Motors technology including Benchmarking and Lead the Control Design and Analysis activities. The Engineer will participate in E-Motors technical roadmap and develop different Electromagnetic concepts of E-Motors Systems to meet vehicle requirements.
Position Requirements Basic Qualifications:
- Master of Science degree in Electrical or equivalent Engineering from an ABET accredited university
- Minimum of 5 years of control Design and Analysis for traction E-Motors
- Experience in Designing, Manufacturing and Assembly of different Control strategies and topologies for traction E-Motors
- Experience with Control Principles, Modeling, and Analysis (SVPWM, MTPA, 6-steps, Current Angle, Position Sensing, Thermal Sensing, etc.)
- Experience of E-Motors’ Mechanical, Electromagnetic, and Thermal Analysis and Testing
- Extensive experience in Thermal Simulations (MATLAB, INCA, Other Control SW)
- Experience in E-Motors Design for Manufacturing and E-Motors Design for Assembly (DFMEA, PFEMA, DRBTR, DRBFM, etc.)
- Experience in E-Motors prototyping and production
- Materials knowledge in E-Motors subcomponents
- Knowledge of E-Motor design principles, operation, testing, and reliability
- Knowledge of E-Motor subcomponents design and development such as magnet wires, insulation papers, steel lamination, magnets, shaft, bearing, etc.
- Knowledge of different E-Motor technologies, IPM, IM, Axial flux, SRM
- Knowledgeable in regards to GD&T
- As appropriate, owns the test-to-learn process, data collection, and analysis of E-Motors’ Performance, Losses, and Efficiency results.
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to work both independently and with others
- Ph.D. degree in Electrical or Equivalent Engineering from an ABET accredited university
- Familiarity with automotive product development processes and project management
- Excellent problem solving techniques and analytical ability
- Excellent leadership skills
- Design for Six Sigma (DFSS)
- Knowledgeable in use of Team Center with experience in NX in a production release environment.
- Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Category Product Design & Engineering-Powertrain