Engineering Leadership Development Associate
Handshake Job #5611021
This position is part of Parker’s Electronic Motion & Controls Division (EMC) which provides technologies that create and control motion to customers across a wide range of applications and industries. This exciting opportunity allows you to become part of a team that aligns products, worldwide engineering and manufacturing capabilities to build our presence in a growing electrification space. EMC brings together decades of controls and electronics design and manufacturing expertise with significant growth opportunities presented by our mobile electrification and industrial efforts.
This position will be located in Chicago and is part of the Connected Products Center of Excellence working closely with the Internet of Things (IoT) team. Responsible to develop requirements, implement, and test connected to communicate with the IoT solutions in both mobile and industrial environments. The role will work with cross functional teams across Motion Systems Group to determine requirements and implement them to enable products to be managed on the edge and remotely by Parker’s Internet of Things cloud solution based on Azure and by 3rd party management portals.
Coordinate with internal teams or interdependent departments within the business unit and may coordinate cross-discipline engineering teams. Has regular internal and external interaction with program management or customers on technical projects assigned to the team. Will have cross-business unit or division interface on common technical issues.
· Participate in the year-long ELDP program as an Associate for the Motion Systems Group.
· Work with divisional and group engineering teams to develop solutions for Parker’s smart and connected product portfolio. Particular focus will be on leveraging advanced algorithms for control of work functions in the hydraulic, electromechanical, and pneumatics technology spaces.
· Design and implement smart products. Translate functional needs into data science problems. Design algorithms to deliver on the value proposition.
· Support lab testing and data collection through design of experiment design and data acquisition systems. Use data to develop smart algorithms. Design performance validation tests for those algorithms.
· Support the development of internal tooling for the smart product development lifecycle. Track latest developments in AI, assess their viability and appropriateness, and implement as standard offerings.
· Coordinate with other internal engineering services teams such as IoT, hardware, and firmware teams to support product development and commercialization.
· Bachelor’s degree (BS) in engineering, applied mathematics, computer science, data science, or a related technical discipline. Advanced degree (MS or PhD) preferred.
· Excellent command of engineering fundamentals and their underlying physical and mathematical principles.
· Strong history of engineering problem solving demonstrated through original research, classwork, or extra curriculars.
· Strong leadership potential exemplified through a track record of leadership experience—both in formal and informal roles.
· History of working effectively within diverse teams to accomplish shared goals under pressure.
· Strong communication skills—both written and verbal.
· Proficiency with one or more programming languages.
· Firsthand experience with the implementation of AI systems and/or use of data analytics to solve engineering problems is highly desired.
· Experience implementing data acquisition systems for laboratory data collection. Familiarity with experimental design. Experience with hydraulic, electromechanical, or pneumatics systems is highly desired.
· Familiarity with concepts from probability, optimization, controls, and signal processing is desired.