The Motor Control Hardware Engineer II develops and designs motor control power electronics through the product development lifecycle. Work within a team, from customers, suppliers and manufacturers, to translate designs into production. Provide technical guidance to support schedule and product cost to ensure overall success on projects. Utilize appropriate tools and resources to perform necessary design tasks including design conception, analysis, testing and verification.
- Design motor control power electronics, write design specifications, capture design schematics, guide the layout of the PCB, and oversee prototype, engineering validation and design verification phases of projects.
- Work with software, mechanical and application engineering groups to optimize product design with low cost and high quality.
- Complete hardware design per product requirements while complying with the new product development processes.
- Coordinate prototype, engineering validation, design verification and agency testing.
- Work with PCB layout designers to ensure schematic, part library, component placement and routing accuracy.
- Responsible for component selection, benchmarking, qualification and approval of alternate components.
- Prepare and conduct DFMEA, design and safety reviews.
- Coordinate with component suppliers and contract manufacturers to introduce designs into production on schedule.
- Create and support project documentation – BOMs, test procedures, manuals and drawings.
- Work with the quality group to support design and process changes to improve product quality.
- Work with a geographically distributed design and manufacturing teams.
- Support application group regarding technical questions from customers.
- Constantly keeps up with motor controls and power electronics technology changes in the industry.
- Contribute to innovative ideas for cost reduction, product and process improvements.
- Some travel domestically and globally to support manufacturing locations when necessary.
Additional Job Details
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Electrical Engineering MS degree with specialization in motor control electronics desired or 2 years of pertinent experience and a Bachelor’s degree.
- 0 to 3 years of experience in and analog/digital circuit design and power electronics strongly desired.
- Experience with PSPICE circuit simulation software, PCB schematic capture and layout tools are strongly desired.
- Familiarity with Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS) design and Power Factor Correction (PFC) circuits is preferred.
- Past work in developing microcontroller/DSP based hardware for motor control application is preferred.
- Familiarity in design and development of electronics for HVAC or appliance industries preferred.
- Effective interpersonal, presentation, written and oral communication skills.