INNOVATE WITHOUT BOUNDARIES! At Milwaukee Tool we firmly believe that our People and our Culture are the secrets to our success – so we give you unlimited access to everything you need to create disruptive new technologies and solutions on our engineering teams. Our Engineering Team is responsible for giving life to the batteries, motors, and electronics that power solutions changing the lives of our users. Every developmental phase of these critical components happens in-house under the watch of this team. We continue to invest in a mix of mechanical and electrical engineering expertise to design and develop leadership in motor capabilities. We create Best-in-Class products by leveraging advanced analysis tools, extensive hands-on testing regimes, state-of-the-art manufacturing processes, and cross-functional agility.
Behind our doors you’ll be empowered every day to own it, drive it, and do what it takes to design and develop the biggest breakthroughs in the industry. Meanwhile, you’ll have the support and resources of the fastest-growing brand in the construction industry to make it happen.
Year after year, our team continues to make significant breakthroughs in the industry. We’re just getting started.
The Sr. Motor Engineer will lead the collaboration with local cross-functional, Global Motor Engineering, and Operations teams to create and execute test plans to verify motor performance and thermal limits per project requirements. You will identify engineering trends and drive strategies to guide the organization’s technical direction and ensure consistent and efficient mass-produced Milwaukee motors and products around the world.
You’ll also be DISRUPTIVE through these duties and responsibilities:
- Executing a lead role to design, prototype, test and troubleshoot motors for high complexity projects.
- Establish and drive test regimens for components and assemblies within scope of the project and organization to aid in design verification and failure modes.
- Conduct hands-on experiments of power tools, perform simulations, and draw concise, logical conclusions by analyzing data.
- Perform root cause failure analysis of motor test failures.
- Drive supplier relationships to develop part/product specifications that meet performance requirements while falling within process capabilities.
- Acquire knowledge and maintain an understanding of Milwaukee Tool’s development and manufacturing processes to effectively and efficiently mass produce power tools.
- Perform electromagnetic design changes to laminations to improve existing designs.
- Provide candid and effective communications up, down and across the organization on progress, barrier removal and escalation of business risks/opportunities.
- Make clean-sheet motor designs of brushed and brushless DC motors and AC universal motors to optimize performance tailored to product requirements.
- Demonstrate Milwaukee Tools Culture of high performance and agility by independently creating Work Breakdown Structure for your work and driving to critical milestones.
- Schedule, develop agendas for, facilitate, and document technical meetings and formal presentations.
- Drive urgency in project schedules and accountability for establishing and achieving key project metrics that meet the organization’s needs.
- Serve as a role model of Milwaukee Tool’s culture while providing technical and engineering leadership, mentoring, guiding, and coaching junior Engineers.
- Use laboratory equipment such as oscilloscopes, power supplies, e-loads, and data acquisition systems.
- Independently track projects to ensure adherence to schedule and the Milwaukee process.
- Design and qualify new solution to applicable regulatory standards such as UL, CEC, CE, and ANSI.
What TOOLS you’ll bring with you:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- 5+ years of experience in related design field.
- Experience using CAD.
- Proficient in theory of Brushless DC Motors.
- Familiarity with Brushed PMDC, Universal, Induction and Switched Reluctance motors and theory.
- Extensive knowledge of motor controls, battery technology, vibration, and sound analysis.
- Understanding of motor assembly and motor component design/manufacturing and what drives cost and durability.
- Ability to travel 10% of the time (domestic and international).
Other TOOLS we prefer you to have:
- Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related field.
- Proficiency with FEA.
- Understanding of metal stamping, steel machining, and injection molded processes.
We provide these great perks and benefits:
- Robust health, dental and vision insurance plans.
- Generous 401 (K) savings plan.
- Education assistance.
- On-site wellness, fitness center, food, and coffee service.
- And many more – check out our benefits site.