Job ID: 105665
The Leonardo DRS Naval Power Systems business is a trusted provider of innovative naval gas and hybrid power systems, control technology and support solutions for the U.S. Navy and navies around the world.
DRS NPS is seeking a Systems Engineering Technical Director to guide the development of ship-based electric plant and propulsion systems for marine applications. This highly visible technical role is responsible for shaping, contributing to, and verifying the technical efforts of cross-disciplinary teams focused on system-level architecture, interface control, and associated analyses. This role requires a technical expertise in, and understanding of, the desired function of the system, the possible forms that system may take, and an ability to develop a robust and competitive architecture. Applicable knowledge and direct experience with the integration and testing of ship-based equipment is key to success in this role.
The day-to-day focus will be working with multidisciplinary engineering team(s) ranging from 3-10+ engineers, as well as direct individual contributions to project work as required. Close collaboration with project leadership, engineering functional management, and other functions is crucial to guide the design and implementation of system architectures. There will also be direct contribution to complex and critical proposals. As part of regular activities, this role will require significant direct supplier and customer interaction to drive progress in project execution.
The ideal candidate is a system-thinking engineer with direct experience with ship integration and a keen understanding of multiple disciplines (mechanical, electrical, software, etc.).
- Accountable for the technical vision and success of large system integration projects for ship-based electric plants and propulsion systems used in naval and commercial marine applications.
- Coordinate development of technical deliverables (design reports, test procedures/reports, etc) with the engineering team. Act as the final reviewer and approval authority for technical outputs from the team.
- Guide interdisciplinary technical teams to architect, analyze, and specify requirements/interfaces for generating equipment, power distribution equipment, propulsion systems, machinery control systems, and other related auxiliary equipment.
- Contribute directly to project success through individual technical contributions, as required
- Confidently and competently represent DRS in front of customers, including the US Navy
- Clearly communicate, orally and in writing, project status and technical information to technical and non-technical individuals
- Bachelor of Science degree from a 4 year accredited college or university in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 10 years of experience
- Proven track record of individually driving a development cycle from concept to qualified / fielded systems
- Direct experience with the integration and testing of megawatt-class gensets, distribution systems, and propulsion equipment for maritime vessels
- Knowledge of relevant ship-level schematics & documentation like One-Line Diagrams, Electric Plant Load Analysis (EPLA), Ship Work Breakdown Structure (SWBS), and Endurance Fuel Calculations.
- Knowledge of marine classification societies like American Bureau of Shipping (ABS), Lloyds, DNV, Bureau Veritas (BV), etc.
- Experience in the commissioning of marine electric plant and propulsion system equipment from installation during ship construction through builder’s trials and acceptance trials.
- Recognized ability to exhibit system-level thinking and system engineering principles / methods
- Strong sense of ownership and high level of accountability for assigned projects
- Confidence to independently identify and address technical issues, proposing solutions to project leadership and functional management
- US citizen
- Masters Degree strongly preferred
- Direct experience working with US Navy or International Navies on designing and commissioning ships with electric propulsion plants
- Experience with the development of electric machines, electric motor/drive systems, electro-mechanical systems, or other power machinery
- Experience with marine gas turbines and/or diesel engines
- Experience designing/developing marine equipment
- Experience with agile project management tools and/or using Jira
- Experience of leading the successful integration of multiple sub-systems
- Demonstrated focus on designing to cost targets, while meeting key performance requirements
- Proven track record of being able to stretch outside one’s comfort zone, as needed, to get the job done
- Active security clearance