Job ID: 105772
The Leonardo DRS Naval Power Systems business is a trusted provider of innovative naval gas and hybrid power systems, control technology and support solutions for the U.S. Navy and navies around the world.
DRS NPS has an immediate need for a Senior Mechanical Engineer with a well-rounded skill set, including design, analysis, assembly support, and qualification/validation experience.
The candidate is expected to work independently, using judgment and discretion in making complex decisions. Along with providing individual contributions, the role is also responsible for leading multidisciplinary project team(s) ranging from 3-10+ engineers, detailers, and drafters in a matrix organization in fulfilling program requirements. The technical nature of this position requires a collaborative and consultative role in program development and problem solving with other technical resources.
The role requires utilizing engineering experience to estimate, plan, and execute DoD and commercial projects ranging from < $2M – $150M+.
Critical to success in the role is the ability to breakdown and organize complicated technical challenges and inspire the engineering team to find innovative solutions to those challenges. Equally important is the ability to clearly document / present project status within the team, to project leadership, and to other functions including executive management. As part of regular activities, this role will have significant supplier and customer interaction.
The ideal candidate is an individual possessing strong mechanical engineering technical skills and a working knowledge of thermal, stress, and other design considerations for rotating equipment (generators & electric motors). The ability to set a technical vision for a project, influence its adoption, and motivate the team are all key skillsets.
• Plan and drive execution of the detailed technical work scope to the required quality, schedule, and budget.
• Contribute directly to project success through individual technical contributions
• Develop project plans and pre-contract proposal estimates based on project scope, technical requirements, risks, and customer needs.
• Organize, lead, and motivate technical teams through development of complex products and systems
• Confidently and competently represent DRS in front of customers, including the US Navy
• Clearly communicate, orally and in writing, technical and programmatic information to technical and non-technical individuals
• Review, analyze, and status project milestones and provide accurate estimates to complete projects/tasks
• Collaboration with other departments, DRS locations, and suppliers to solve problems and develop cost-effective, high-quality solutions
• Bachelor of Science degree from a 4-year accredited college or university in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 5 years of experience as an individual contributor.
• Proven experience individually driving the product development cycle from concept to qualified / fielded systems
• Experience with system-level thinking and system engineering principles/methods
• Experience with the design of large welded fabrications and complex assemblies. Strong engineering design skills; including knowledge in material selection, plate and weld sizing, and fastener design.
• US citizen
• Experience with the development of electric machines, electric motor/drive systems, electro-mechanical systems, marine gas turbines, and/or diesel engines
• Proficient with Computer Aided Design (CAD) Tools (Solidworks and/or Siemen NX preferred)
• Proficient with Finite Element Analysis and/or Multi-Physics Analysis Tools (ANSYS preferred)
• Experience with Program Management tools (MS Project preferred) and/or agile Project Management tools- (Jira preferred)
• Experience with execution of projects for the US military
• Familiarity with industrial and military design specifications
• Experience of leading the successful integration of multiple sub-systems
• Active security clearance