Job ID: 105417
The Leonardo DRS Naval Power Systems business is a trusted provider of innovative naval gas and hybrid power systems, control technology and support solutions for the U.S. Navy and navies around the world.
DRS NPS has an immediate need for a Principal Systems Engineer to lead challenging and innovative technical projects, with the ability to drive the development of ship-based electric plant and propulsion systems for marine applications. This exciting technical role is responsible for leading cross-disciplinary teams focused on system-level architecture, interface control, and associated analyses. This role requires total understanding of the technical vision and an ability to drive the day-to-day execution to provide our customers with engineering solutions that meet their requirements and exceed their expectations.
This highly-visible technical leadership position includes detailed planning and technical execution of large system integration projects. The day-to-day focus is on leading and encouraging multidisciplinary engineering team(s) ranging from 3-10+ engineers, as well as direct individual contributions to project work as required. Critical to success in the role is the ability to understand complicated technical challenges, inspire the engineering team to find innovative solutions to problems, and clearly document / present status within the team, to project leadership, and to other functions (including executive management). As part of regular activities, this role will have significant supplier and customer interaction.
The ideal candidate is a system-thinking engineer who can positively drive detailed activities across multiple disciplines (mechanical, electrical, software, etc.).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Drive the day-to-day execution of large system integration projects for ship-based electric plants and propulsion systems used in naval and commercial marine applications.
- Contribute directly to project success through individual technical contributions, as required
- Lead and motivate interdisciplinary technical teams to architect, analyze, and specify requirements/interfaces for generating equipment, power distribution equipment, propulsion systems, machinery control systems, and other related auxiliary equipment.
- Confidently and competently represent DRS in front of customers, including the US Navy
- Clearly communicate, orally and in writing, project status and technical information to technical and non-technical individuals
- Manage documentation, drawing, schematic, bill of material, and software releases to support technical projects
- Bachelor of Science degree from a 4 year accredited college or university in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 10 years of experience
- Experience and demonstrated success in leading a team of engineers
- Proven experience individually driving a product or system development cycle from concept to qualified / fielded systems
- Experience with system-level thinking and system engineering principles/methods
- Strong sense of ownership and high level of accountability for assigned projects
- US citizen
- Experience working with US Navy or International Navies on designing and commissioning ships with electric propulsion plants
- Knowledge of relevant ship-level schematics & documentation like One-Line Diagrams, Electric Plant Load Analysis (EPLA), Ship Work Breakdown Structure (SWBS), and Endurance Fuel Calculations.
- Knowledge of marine classification societies like American Bureau of Shipping (ABS), Lloyds, DNV, Bureau Veritas (BV), etc.
- Experience in the commissioning of marine electric plant and propulsion system equipment from installation during ship construction through builder’s trials and acceptance trials.
- Experience with the development of electric machines, electric motor/drive systems, electro-mechanical systems, or other power machinery
- Experience with marine gas turbines and/or diesel engines
- Experience designing/developing marine equipment
- Experience with agile project management tools and/or using Jira
- Experience of leading the successful integration of multiple sub-systems
- Demonstrated focus on designing to cost targets, while meeting key performance requirements
- Proven track record of being able to stretch outside one’s comfort zone, as needed, to get the job done
- Active security clearance