Job ID: 103607
The Leonardo DRS Naval Power Systems business is a trusted provider of innovative naval gas and hybrid power systems, control technology and support solutions for the U.S. Navy and navies around the world.
DRS NPS has an immediate need for a Motor Engineer for a technical role that will require component and system-level engineering, advanced analyses, and electromagnetic design of electric machines (motors and generators) for defense and commercial applications. This senior-level position entails working on a team to design and manufacture large (100kW – 36MW+) electric machines, primarily permanent magnet topologies with challenging requirements to operating in demanding applications. If you are an experienced motor engineer looking to stretch your technical skills, this position presents a unique opportunity to design and build some of the largest and most specialized electric machines in the world.
The ideal candidate is an individual possessing a deep understanding and experience in electromagnetics, motor design/manufacture, and electric propulsion systems development. Direct experience with large (1MW+) marine power generation or propulsion equipment, form-wound stator manufacturing, and permanent magnet motor assembly are considered to be distinct advantages.
- Primary contributor in the development of new permanent magnet motors and generators for the commercial and defense markets, including:
- Electromagnetic design and analysis
- Specification of flux-carrying and insulation materials
- First-order and detailed sizing/configuration of machines to meet customer specifications
- Productization of motor design concepts
- Support of existing motor and generator products through individual technical contribution
- Provide engineering support for the manufacturing of large, form-wound stators
- Clearly documenting, communicating, and presenting technical information to technical and non-technical individuals
- Collaboration with other departments, DRS locations, and suppliers to solve challenging design problems and develop the best overall system solutions
- Bachelor of Science degree from a 4 year accredited college or university in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, or other appropriate degree.
- 8+ years’ experience in electric machine design
- Familiarity with industrial (IEC, NEMA, etc) motor design specifications
- US citizen
- Ability to obtain a security clearance required
- Specific experience in the design & manufacture of large (1MW+) permanent magnet electric machines
- Specific experience obtaining marine certifications (ABS, BV, DNV) for electric machines
- Direct experience using electromagnetic design tools (Flux, SPEED, Maxwell, EMAG, or similar)
- Direct experience with electric machine manufacturing tooling, standard motor tests and associated equipment, and motor/drive integration testing
- Experience with CAD and/or analysis programs such as Solidworks, Unigraphics, MATLAB, ANSYS, or similar