Staff Engineer, Alternators
Work Mode: Hybrid
Location: Kohler, WI
This is more than a job posting for Kohler Company, one of the oldest and largest privately held companies in North America. This is an invitation to collaborate and apply your craft in a creative conscious and characterful culture.
For the last 100 years, our engines, generators and UPS products have powered homes, hospitals, lawn mowers, stadiums, and everything in-between. The Staff Engineer will focus on synchronous alternator design, validation & manufacturing and three phase power system analysis. The synchronous alternators are used in generator set assemblies for standby power generation. The Staff Engineer will serve as a technical power systems expert for engineering and other functional areas of the Kohler Power organization. General expert in islanded and paralleled power system analysis, alternator performance, and effective in communication on practical power engineering practice.
1. Develop wound rotor and permanent magnet synchronous alternator electromagnetic designs using lumped parameter tools, magnetic equivalent circuits, and finite element analysis
2. Work in conjunction with internal and external stakeholders to deliver and test working prototypes and validate first article production machines
3. Support alternator sustaining product development & manufacturing
4. Solicit best practices from internal peers and external resources on machine design
5. Provide level 3 support through the applications engineering group for customer and application specific issues
6. Support education of internal and external stakeholders on power systems fundamentals
7. Assist in optimization of new and existing power systems for performance and cost
8. Provide model guidance for power system simulation in Simulink, SKM, and other power system toolsets
9. Limited domestic and international travel (<10%)
Education and Experience Requirements
1. Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering with 3 years experience in electric machine design or Master’s of Science in Electrical Engineering with targeted graduate coursework in electric machines
2. Experience with electromagnetic finite element tools (e.g. Ansys Maxwell, Altair Flux)
3. Demonstrated skills in communication and project coordination
4. Experience with reference frame (qd0) analyses, symmetrical component analyses, and/or islanded power systems is considered an advantage
5. Hands on experience with electric machine testing is also an advantage
To fully demonstrate our commitment to the health, safety and wellbeing of our associates, we are requiring all U.S. based team members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment beginning January 1, 2022. We believe this path forward further strengthens our workforce and the future growth and resilience of our company and community. Individuals with medical conditions or sincerely held religious beliefs that prevent them from getting the vaccine may request an exemption from the vaccine requirement.
We will consider applicants requiring sponsorship for this opportunity.
Why Work at Kohler Co.?
Kohler Co.’s mission is to contribute to a higher level of gracious living for those who are touched by our products and services. We understand that it takes investment in our associates’ development to make that happen. So, we offer ongoing investment in each individual’s personal development and the opportunity to collaborate with others across functions and roles at Kohler.
In addition to the investment in your development, Kohler offers a benefits package including a competitive salary, health, vision, dental, 401(k) with company matching, and more!
Read the full article at: https://kohler.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/16/home/requisition/35453?c=kohler&lang=en-US