Remote Position – Warren, Michigan, United States of America | JR-000046120
There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
This is a remote position; the selected candidate can reside and perform the work from anywhere within the United States.
At GM, we look to move humanity forward. We translate breakthrough technologies into vehicles and experience that people love. It all starts with research and design. We are looking for R&D Interns to craft, design, and develop groundbreaking designs and concepts. In this internship, you will plan and execute collaborative research to generate new knowledge and sophisticated technology for our vehicles. Our culture of “Innovate Now” gives you the opportunity to be creative and implement designs that could possibly be driving around in the near future!
- Conduct research and/or experiments to collect required data and validate research ideas
- Document and present results. Depending on the assignment, results could lead to external publications and/or intellectual property
- Execute technical and special assignments
- Assist lab management in identifying mega trends in technology and business strategies in the automotive sector
- Develop and execute specific research plans, including concept generation, development, implementation, and validation
- Collaborate effectively with peers, management, operations groups, and outside organizations
- Must be a second year Masters student or currently pursuing PhD
- Preferred degree in science/engineering subject areas
- Strong theoretical and experimental skills
- Previous research work experience in development of design methodology and technology transfer
- Ability to work both independently and in teams
- Consistently demonstrate critical thinking and strong teamwork
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent persuasion, active listening, delegation, and leadership skills to work effectively with GM internal and external customers
- Prior internship experience in automotive, technology, or manufacturing
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization as needed
- Demonstrates leadership in field of study, extra-curricular activities or service organizations
- Strong leadership skills, to guide project teams through planning, execution and insight phases
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills, especially the ability to synthesize large amounts of data involving multiple variables into comprehensive, impactful insights
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, leading deliverables and goals
- Willingness to ask questions, take initiative and be inventive
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to distill sophisticated subjects to a wider audience
- Emerging partnership and teamwork skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a rapidly moving environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, takes initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability and trust
The median salary range for this position in Colorado is $6800/month. Applicable salary ranges may differ across markets. Actual pay will be determined based on experience and other job-related factors permitted by law
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2022 Student Program