Job Description Summary
As a Research Engineer of Electric Power Systems you will contribute to the development of advanced electrical power & energy systems and components used primarily in utility applications. You will engage with and support several GE businesses including GE Power and GE Renewable Energy. You will also be encouraged to explore new applications which are tied with other GE Industrial businesses or revolutionary ideas which have not found a home in a GE business yet.
Roles and Responsibilities
- The Electric Power Systems team performs advanced, leading-edge research in a variety of electric power system areas. We focus on technology that enables more reliable and efficient power generation, transmission & distribution. Our major customers include GE Power, GE Renewable Energy, US Dept. of Energy, and the US Dept. of Defense.
- Opportunities will exist to contribute to technology development in a wide-range of areas including the integration of renewable energy technologies such as wind and solar, WAMS, HVDC, distribution automation, power system protection, and microgrids. Many of these project collaborations are required within the internal organization by actively working on system related aspects with the electrical machines, power electronics, and electrical propulsion and energy storage teams.
As an Electric Power Systems Research Engineer you will:
- Participate in the development of new technologies and capabilities for GE’s power generation, transmission, distribution and end-user product offerings by analyzing system requirements and needs to be translated into existing and new products.
- Develop algorithms to aggregate distributed energy resources (DERs) to provide services to the grid in a microgrid or virtual power plant configuration.
- Develop techniques to efficiently assess the impact of DERs on the grid and develop mitigation strategies.
- Adapt modern distribution automation and management systems for operation with DERs.
- Develop electrical system requirements into projects related to power electronics, electrical machines, propulsion system, energy storage systems, etc.
- Join multi-disciplinary project teams and provide power system analysis expertise in areas such as real-time modeling, simulation, network modeling, system analysis, protection, transient stability analysis, grid codes, Smart Grid concepts, economic dispatch, HVDC/FACTS, etc.
- Perform analytical work to define, meet or exceed customer entitlements.
- Participate in the development and identification of technology, product and service opportunities.
- Effectively communicate results by preparing written reports and making presentations describing analyses performed, solutions developed, and value obtained.
- Connect the organization to the latest technology developments and trends.
- Demonstrate awareness of competing and disruptive technologies.
- Contribute to proposals for GE businesses as well as government agencies.
- Doctorate Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field or Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field with a minimum of 3 years of professional experience in electric power systems or related field.
- Demonstrated power system engineering experience in at least two of the following:
- Power system impact of renewable energy systems
- Network modeling
- Protection and stability
- Transmission or distribution system planning and optimization
- Impact of novel and intelligent devices on power systems (e.g. HVDC, FACTS, storage, electric vehicles etc.)
- System integration of electric power
- Control and communication technologies
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals at the Masters level for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Because of the specific categories of data handled by GE Research and the structure of our work environment, we are unable to accommodate employment of persons while they are considered nationals of embargoed countries subject to restriction under the US Export Administration Regulations (EAR), 15 CFR Section 746 et seq. (currently North Korea, Syria, Iran and Cuba). Please note that citizens of embargoed countries who have either U.S. person” status under U.S. export control laws or subsequent citizenship from a non-embargoed country can be considered.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY
- Must be 18 years or older
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
- Experience with microgrid control
- Experience with power electronics based distributed generation and energy storage
- Experience with cybersecurity in power and energy application
- Project experience and publications as the lead author in virtual power plant modeling, simulation, optimization and control
- Extensive experience with distribution simulation software such as OpenDSS, GridLAB-D or cymdist
- Experience with implementation of control algorithms and analytics in control hardware or energy/distribution management systems in a field or lab hardware in the loop environment (e.g. RTDS)
- Experience in control theory with a focus on control algorithms for power or energy systems
- Detailed understanding of generator excitation and speed controls
- Experience with alternative energy and distributed generation, e.g. wind, PV, fuel cells, combined heat and power applications
- Experience in writing government proposals (e.g. DOE, ARPA-E, DOD) for research grants
- Familiarity with power systems analytical tools, such as PSCAD, EMTP, PSS/E, PSLF, MAPS, etc.
- Global mindset & customer focus
- Entrepreneurial inclination
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes