GE Corporate Corporate Global Research CategoryEngineering / Technology Senior Level 12/08/2021 R3578559 Relocation Assistance:Yes 1 Research Circle, Niskayuna, NY 12309-1027, United States Of America
Job Description Summary
As a Senior Electrical Systems Engineer, you will contribute and lead development of advanced electrical power & energy systems and components used primarily in aviation and utility applications. You will engage with and support several GE businesses including GE Aviation and GE Renewable Energy as well as several United States government customers and partners. You will also be encouraged to explore new applications which are tied with other GE Industrial businesses or revolutionary ideas which have not found a home in a GE business yet.
Essential Responsibilities :
- The Electric Power Systems team performs advanced, leading-edge research in a variety of electric system areas. We focus on technology that enables more reliable and efficient hybrid propulsion, power generation, transmission & distribution. Our major customers include GE Aviation, GE Renewable Energy and several US Government agencies.
- Opportunities will exist to lead technology development in a wide-range of areas including the integration of electrical generators and power converters for hybrid electric propulsion, system protection, and microgrids. Many of these project collaborations are required within the internal organization by actively working on system related aspects with the electrical machines, power electronics and energy storage teams.
As a Senior Electrical Systems Engineer, you will:
- Work independently as well as guide development of new technologies and capabilities for GE’s Aviation, power generation, transmission, distribution and end-user product offerings by analyzing system requirements and needs to be translated into existing and new products.
- Shaping of new proposal areas with GE businesses as well as multiple government agencies, universities and national laboratories. Contribute and lead proposal teams as Principal Investigators or as a team member.
- Guide development of electrical system requirements into projects related to power electronics, electrical machines, propulsion system, energy storage systems, etc. Perform system level trade-off of complex electrical systems.
- Lead multi-disciplinary project teams and provide electrical system analysis expertise in areas such as real-time modeling, simulation, network modeling, system analysis, protection, transient stability analysis etc.
- Perform analytical work to define, meet or exceed customer entitlements.
- Participate in the development and identification of new technology, product and service opportunities.
- Effectively communicate results by preparing written reports and making presentations describing analyses performed, solutions developed, and value obtained.
- Connect the organization to the latest technology developments and trends.
- Demonstrate awareness of competing and disruptive technologies.
- Doctorate Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field with a minimum of 3 years of experience in electric power systems or Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field with a minimum of 7 years of experience in electrical systems.
- Demonstrated system engineering experience in at least three of the following four areas:
- System Modeling and Simulation
- System Tradeoff Studies
- System Testing in the Laboratory setup
- Hybrid System Control and communication technologies
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY
- Willingness to travel at a minimum of 2 weeks per year.
- Must be 18 years or older
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered.
- Experience with microgrid design, protection and control
- Experience with power electronics based distributed generation and energy storage
- Experience with implementation of control algorithms and analytics in control hardware or energy/distribution management systems in a field or lab hardware in the loop environment
- Experience in control theory with a focus on control algorithms for power or energy systems
- Experience with a variety of hybrid electric propulsion applications
- Familiarity with electrical systems analytical tools
- Global mindset & customer focus
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrating humility and candor
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to communicate effectively with senior leadership.
- Entrepreneurial inclination and Intellectual Property development mindset
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes
Please click here to access the job posting directly on the GE website / for applications