Job Description Summary
The Staff Engineer for Power Electronics contributes to the design and development of Aviation Power Electronic products such as converters/inverters, solutions and systems. Great opportunities to make significant impacts on the future of flight as well as the environment working on programs such as Hybrid Electric aircraft. Includes activities linked to technical improvement of existing products and components. Impacts approaches, projects and programs in the functional area or affected business organization and ways of working. Impacts quality, efficiency and effectiveness of own team. Has significant input into priorities. Guided by professional practices and policies that are shaped by the role.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Design and develop high voltage power electronic circuits and components for Aviation industry products such as converters and inverters
- Provide technical leadership to the cross functional team working on the project
- Participate and present in the technical reviews
- Implement plans to meet technical program requirements by working with suppliers, manufacturing, and other disciplines
- Develop and implement action plans to address issues associated with power electronics as they arise on programs
- Provide technical support for various customer proposals
- Developing specialized knowledge in power electronics. Has awareness of latest technical developments in own area. Contributes towards strategy and policy development, and ensure delivery within area of responsibility.
- Has in-depth knowledge of best practices and how own area integrates with others; has working knowledge of competition and the factors that differentiate them in the market
- Uses judgment to make decisions or solve moderately complex tasks or problems in areas of operational/product management, manufacturing, technology or engineering. Takes new perspective on existing solutions. Uses technical experience and expertise for data analysis to support recommendations. Uses multiple internal and limited external sources outside of own function to arrive at decisions.
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience. Explains difficult or sensitive information; works to build consensus. Developing persuasion skills required to influence others on topics within field.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college
- Minimum 10 years of experience in Engineering
- Experience in aviation electrical power engineering
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Minimum 5 years experience designing power electronic circuits
- Experience with high voltage and high power converters/inverters
- Working knowledge of EMI (CM an DM), transformers, and semiconductor switches and different PWM schemes
- Simulation experience with PLECS or similar tools
- Working knowledge and design experience with 3-phase motor/generator systems
- Strong Electrical circuit design experience and layout knowledge
- Hands on experience working in a lab environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems