Job Description Summary
The Staff Engineer activities include contributing to the design, development, troubleshooting, and verification of open and closed loop control systems for products, solutions and systems for the Aviation power industry. Includes activities linked to technical improvement of existing products and components Impacts approaches, projects and programs in the functional area or affected business organization and ways of working. Impacts quality, efficiency and effectiveness of own team. Has significant input into priorities. Guided by professional practices and policies that are shaped by the role.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Design, implement, troubleshoot, and verify open and closed loop control systems for power electronic products such as converters and inverters for the Aviation power industry including rotating machinery.
- Test embedded motor controller or power electronic circuits through digital communication, debugger, oscilloscope, and logic analyzer in a lab environment
- Simulate power systems using PLECS or equivalent simulation tools to support design and proposal efforts
- Program embedded processors using C language
- Work with customers both internal and external to troubleshoot issues
- Lead the validation efforts to test functionality of equipment
- Has awareness of latest technical developments in own area.
- Contributes towards strategy and policy development, and ensure delivery within area of responsibility.
- Has in-depth knowledge of best practices and how own area integrates with others; has working knowledge of competition and the factors that differentiate them in the market
- Uses judgment to make decisions or solve moderately complex tasks or problems in areas of operational/product management, manufacturing, technology or engineering.
- Takes new perspective on existing solutions. Uses technical experience and expertise for data analysis to support recommendations.
- Uses multiple internal and limited external sources outside of own function to arrive at decisions.
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience.
- Explains difficult or sensitive information; works to build consensus.
- Developing persuasion skills required to influence others on topics within field.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college
- Minimum of 5 years experience in engineering
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- 10 years of experience developing controls systems for power electronic/rotating equipment applications
- Strong knowledge of various types of motors, their analytical models for simulation and controls
- Strong knowledge of power electronic circuits, topologies, and their characteristics
- Hands on experience in C embedded programming, microprocessors and their peripherals
- Experience with FPGA designs and ability to read hardware description language
- Ability to understand schematics and PCB layout.
- Hands-on experience of operating standard electronic test equipment; oscilloscopes, digital multimeters, frequency generators, signal analyzers, etc.
- Ability to use test equipment to perform PCB level troubleshooting.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems
- Demonstrated ability to lead programs / projects