The Senior Staff Engineer – Power Electronics contributes to the design and development of Aviation Power Electronic Conversion products such as converters/inverters/energy storage solutions and systems.
In this role, you will be a member of a small group of senior staff Engineers that work with the larger engineering and product teams across various GE organizations and customers to develop technology and product roadmaps, oversee product bids and proposal activities, and work directly with Engineering teams to solve technical issues both by supervising the engineering team’s work and conducting analyzes yourself. Your role will be to ensure the successful development and implementation of Aviation Power Conversion products for our Long Island and Pompano Beach customers.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership to the cross functional team working on the project
- Develop detailed technical analyzes and then participate and present in the technical reviews
- Coordinate technology efforts in close collaboration with other GE businesses and ensure that such efforts are incorporated into long-term multi-generational technology and product road maps.
- Serve as the customer facing technical lead or principal investigator on technology projects including but not limited to power conversion, power systems analysis, power systems control and energy storage system integration
- Implement plans to meet technical program requirements by working with suppliers, manufacturing, and other disciplines
- Develop and implement action plans to address issues as they arise on programs
- Provide technical support for various customer proposals
- Has awareness of latest technical developments in Power Electronics
- Has working knowledge of competition and the factors that differentiate them in the market
- Identify, mentor and coach technical talent to serve as Principal Investigators on new product development programs
- Support Leadership by reviewing customer requirements and highlighting differences/gaps between those requirements and product capabilities
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, electrical engineering, or related engineering field
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in Power Electronics engineering field
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required.
- We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- PhD or Master’s in Electrical Engineering
- Experience with high voltage and high-power converters/inverters (minimum of 10kW, working voltages above 270V)
- Working knowledge of EMI (CM and DM) and compliance to military and commercial standards (DO-160G and MIL-STD-461), transformer design, semiconductor switches, gate driver design, and different PWM schemes
- Experience with semiconductor loss modeling and testing (pump back and double pulse tests)
- Familiarity with control systems using DSPs and microcontrollers and/or FPGAs
- Simulation experience with PLECS, LTSPICE, Simplorer, Matlab/Simulink or similar tools
- Working knowledge and design experience with 3-phase motor/generator systems
- Strong Electrical circuit design experience and layout knowledge
- Hands on experience working in a lab environment
- Experience with new technology (NTI) and new product (NPI) introductions in the topical area of power conversion
- Influence, facilitation, and negotiation skills; boundary-less/solution-focused approach
- US Citizenship Status
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance that begins on the first day of employment
- Permissive time off policy for newly hired employees
- Generous 401(k) plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Life insurance and disability coverage
- And more!
This role is restricted to U.S. persons (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and other protected individuals under the Immigration and Naturalization Act, 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)) due to access to export-controlled technology. GE will require proof of status prior to employment.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
As a federal government contractor, GE may in the future be required to have U.S. employees fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Some GE customers currently have vaccination mandates that may apply to GE employees.
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes