The Staff Engineer – Power Electronics contributes to the design and development of Aviation Power Electronic products such as converters/inverters, solutions and systems. Includes activities linked to technical improvement of existing products and components. Impacts approaches, projects and programs in the functional area or affected business organization and ways of working. Impacts quality, efficiency and effectiveness of own team. Has significant input into priorities. Guided by professional practices and policies that are shaped by the role.
In the GE Aviation System’s ATO (Advanced Technology Organization), you will work with senior, talented engineers on breakthrough technologies for various military and commercial applications. One such program the ATO is actively working encompasses Hybrid Electric representing the future of the aviation industry. Together along with partners such as NASA, GE Aviation is defining game changing technology for the aviation industry to ensure the long-term viability of our planet. The Lead Engineer activities for Controls include contributing to the design, development, troubleshooting, and verification of closed loop control systems for products, solutions, and systems for the Aviation industry.
At GE Aviation in Dayton, OH the EPISCenter is the headquarters for all of Aviation Power Engineering. At this facility you have an opportunity to put your engineering training and skills to use. Our Engineers are focused and challenged on developing new technologies and delivering state of the art products such as Hybrid Electric aircraft, the latest military platforms, and SiC technology to name a few. Plus, if you like hands-on work, there is also a 155,000 sq ft lab that includes 6 high power test cells totaling 15 MW, an EMI chamber, an electronics lab, a rapid build prototype lab, and a real time simulator lab with all the latest equipment.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Design and develop high voltage power electronic circuits and components for Aviation industry products such as converters and inverters
- Provide technical leadership to the cross functional team working on the project
- Participate and present in the technical reviews
- Implement plans to meet technical program requirements by working with suppliers, manufacturing, and other disciplines
- Develop and implement action plans to address issues associated with power electronics as they arise on programs
- Provide technical support for various customer proposals
- Developing specialized knowledge in power electronics
- Has awareness of latest technical developments in own area
- Contributes towards strategy and policy development, and ensure delivery within area of responsibility
- Has in-depth knowledge of best practices and how own area integrates with others; has working knowledge of competition and the factors that differentiate them in the market
- Uses judgment to make decisions or solve moderately complex tasks or problems in areas of operational/product management, manufacturing, technology or engineering
- Takes new perspective on existing solutions. Uses technical experience and expertise for data analysis to support recommendations
- Uses multiple internal and limited external sources outside of own function to arrive at decisions
- Developing persuasion skills required to influence others on topics within field
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college
- Minimum of 6 years of experience designing power electronic circuits
- Experience in aviation electrical power engineering
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering
- 10 years of experience designing power electronic circuits
- Experience with high voltage and high power converters/inverters
- Working knowledge of EMI (CM an DM), transformers, and semiconductor switches and different PWM schemes
- Simulation experience with PLECS or similar tools
- Working knowledge and design experience with 3-phase motor/generator systems
- Strong Electrical circuit design experience and layout knowledge
- Hands on experience working in a lab environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems
- Demonstrated ability to lead programs / projects
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance that begins on the first day of employment
- Permissive time off policy for newly hired employees
- Generous 401(k) plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Life insurance and disability coverage
- And more!
This position may be eligible for the following flexible work arrangements (FWA):
- Remote option available
- Hybrid work schedule available (3 days in office; 2 days remote)
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
This role is restricted to U.S. persons (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and other protected individuals under the Immigration and Naturalization Act, 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)) due to access to export-controlled technology. GE will require proof of status prior to employment.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
As a federal government contractor, GE may in the future be required to have U.S. employees fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Some GE customers currently have vaccination mandates that may apply to GE employees.