Eaton’s Industrial Controls Division is currently seeking an Engineering Specialist- Motor Control to join our team. This position is based at our Menomonee Falls, WI location.
The Engineering Specialist-Motor Control role is responsible for the design and implementation of motor control for the division’s next generation of industry leading products. Primary products are related to variable frequency drives but may also include reduced voltage starting; these products leverage embedded micro-controllers and digital signal processors. The candidate will work with other team members driving new product and process development while leveraging state of the art tools. Responsibilities will center on motor control algorithm development (both V/Hz and sensorless vector control for a wide variety of motors spanning from induction machines to PM and Synchronioous reluctance) and modeling for variable frequency drives, but will also require the ability to develop DSP/embedded firmware. The candidate must possess a mind-set focused on innovation combined with motor control experience and the ability to drive all motor control related aspects of a project to a successful completion.
This position will reside in the divisional headquarters building, which houses engineering for multiple product lines as well as marketing, sales, finance, and R&D. The facility was built in 2012 and boasts an open office layout surrounded by large windows, as well as 50,000+ square feet of onsite state-of-the-art laboratory space, an onsite fitness center, basketball court, Ping-Pong, employee lounge, and grill & patio. With eight Eaton facilities and more than 1600 employees located in Southeastern Wisconsin, Eaton’s local footprint enables our employees with state of the art laboratories and access to manufacturing, all while providing ample opportunities for development and career growth within region.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this function you will:
- Establish and document new product requirements related to Motor Control by collaborating with marketing, other technical personnel and customers.
- Define motor control algorithms including scalar control (volts-per-hertz) and sensor-less vector control algorithms for a variety of motor types.
- Guide Model Based Design and Auto Code Generation activities for the division globally both for projects and for major OEM customers.
- Drive motor control related activities for major projects (specifying, designing and implementing as well as directing other engineers within function)
- Drive global team adoption, training and deployment for Model based design and auto code generation tools related to motor control.
- Develop motor control models using Matlab/Simulink software based on motor control algorithms
- Leverage Hardware in the Loop and Software in the Loop tools (dSPACE, Opal RT) to test, optimize and verify models
- Develop embedded C/C++ firmware for motor control leveraging single chip micro-controllers or digital signal processors.
- Specify motor control test applications both at a unit test and system test level to verify proper functionality.
- Direct and work with lab personnel to develop tests and perform testing to validate proper product functionality.
- Debug and fix product defects related to motor control and establish project and product cost estimates and time estimates.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.