Our culture believes in POWERING YOUR POTENTIAL. We provide global opportunities to develop your career, make you community a better place and work with most innovative thinkers to solve world’s toughest problems.
We believe in flexibility for you to explore your passions while making an impact through meaningful work within our inclusive workforce. That’s what #LifeAtCummins is all about.
We are looking for a talented Sr. Engineer – Power Electronics to join our team specializing in Engineering Function for our Corporate Organization in Fridley, MN.
In this role, you will make an impact in the following ways:
- Design and build hardware of power electronics converters for commercial vehicles, energy storage and fuel-cell applications.
- Collaborate with suppliers, engineers (electrical, mechanical, PCB layout, firmware, controls and system) and technicians to design and validate power converters.
- Own the power electronics hardware development from specification to analysis, design, prototype, and testing.
- Develop analysis-led design (ALD) tools to transfer knowledge and enable rapid design and optimization.
- Strong understanding of power electronics topologies (AC/DC, DC/DC & DC/AC).
- Strong experience of selecting and using power semiconductor devices including IGBT’s, Si MOSFET’s, diodes and wide-bandgap (SiC, GaN) devices.
- Strong experience in power converter modeling, simulation, and loss calculation.
- Experience in selecting magnetics (inductors and transformers) and capacitors (electrolytic, film and ceramic) used for power convertors.
- Experience in designing reliable analog/digital circuits, especially gate drive circuits with protections.
- Experience in supervision of PCB layout for minimal parasitics, placement strategies for better manufacturability, and power/signal plane definition.
- Experience in reducing EMI noise through PCB layout, shielding, filtering and component arrangement.
- Experience in conducting research, deriving design formula, and developing ALD tools.
- Proficiency with power electronics lab equipment (oscilloscopes, power suppliers, load banks, emulators etc.).
- Experience in developing test methods, developing test plans, conducting high-power tests, trouble shooting, problem solving and writing test reports.
- Good understanding of Design Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (DFMEA) and Design Verification Plan and Report (DVP&R).
To be successful in this role you will need the following:
- 1-3 years of work experience.
- Experience in using hardware-in-the-loop systems to test control logics and system dynamics.
- Knowledge of traction motor drives and controls applied to electric/hybrid-electric vehicles.
- Knowledge of energy storage inverters and controls applied to off-grid and grid-tied applications.
- Experience in designing high-frequency magnetics (inductors and transformers) and EMI filters.
Master’s degree or PhD in electrical engineering with specialization in power electronics hardware and controls.
Compensation and Benefits
Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Primary Location United States-Minnesota-Minneapolis-US, MN, Fridley, Cummins Power Generation
Job Type Experienced – Exempt / Office
Recruitment Job Type Exempt – Experienced
Job Posting Oct 26, 2021, 1:43:52 PM
Unposting Date Ongoing
Req ID: 2100077V
Please click here to access the job posting directly on the Cummins website / for applications