Organization: Power Electronics New Product Development Group, Cummins Software and Electronics Business Unit, Cummins Inc.
Location: Fridley, MN
Expected Start Date: June/July, 2023
Immigration Support: work visa (H1B, etc.) and green card sponsorships are available
Work Mode: hybrid (remote mixed with onsite as required)
- Collaborate with Electric Power Conversion (EPC) system architects and global engineering teams to develop power electronics hardware and/or power electronics control solutions
- Develop power electronics component and system simulation models using model-based development (MBD) approach
- Design, implement and test control algorithms and software for various power electronic converters
- Collaborate with embedded software engineers to perform control software generation and integration using MBD workflow
- Develop software-in-the-loop (SIL) and hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) testing cases to verify and validate various new designs of power electronic component and EPC systems
- Integrate, test, tune, and troubleshoot power electronics hardware, control algorithms and software prototypes in SIL, HIL and power lab testing
- Use system-level software and tools to calibrate and improve performance of power electronics hardware/software components and systems
- Master’s/PhD degree in electrical engineering with specialization in power electronics (DC-AC and/or DC-DC converters) and electric machines (induction motors, PMSMs, etc.)
- R&D experience in developing power electronics hardware and/or in developing controls of power electronic converters and electric machines
- Strong knowledge of power electronics circuits, systems, and controls; power converter topologies for various EPC applications
- Strong knowledge of power semiconductor devices/modules, gate drivers, high-frequency magnetics, passive components
- Power electronics R&D experience in renewable/alternative energy system applications such as energy storage, hydrogen or solid oxide fuel cells, solar or wind power generation, grid-connected & off-grid power systems, traction or auxiliary motor drives, etc.
- Experience in developing controls, diagnostics and protections for electric motor drives, grid fault ride-through, grid anti-islanding vs. microgrid controls, gird-tied, grid-forming, islanding, black start, seamless transitions between modes, paralleling multiple inverters/converters, and system identification
- Proficiency in modeling and simulation of power electronic components and systems using Matlab/Simulink, PSPICE, PSIM, LTSPICE, PLECS, etc.
- Experience in model-based development (MBD), auto code generation, hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) testing, software-in-the-loop (SIL) testing
- Basic knowledge and application of microprocessors, DSPs, and FPGAs in real-time embedded solutions
- Experience in analog and digital electronic circuit designs for various signal conditioning, drivers, power supplies, communications, fault detection & protections, etc.
- Familiarity and use of network protocols such as CAN, LIN, J1939, Ethernet, and Bluetooth
- Practical skills to use evaluation boards/kits, debuggers, and other development tools for rapid prototyping
- Expertise in EMI/EMC design standards & practices, testing and mitigation
- Hands-on experience in power electronics hardware/software testing and troubleshooting for design validation & verification
- Knowledge of applicable standards such as IEEE 519, IEEE 1547, UL1741, UL1998, IEEE 1159, NEC 702, Utility Interconnection Agreement, IEEE 2030, MIL-STD TMS/461/705, EU GCC, SAE J1772, SAE J2954