This applied technology position creates electronic hardware that is integral to Cummins’ products. People in these positions will typically develop and validate electronic sensors, actuators, control units or harnesses to ensure the consistent operation of Cummins’ products in a variety of customer applications .
Investigates electronic hardware problems, understands causal mechanisms, recommends appropriate action, owns problem resolution and documents results.
Applies and improves electronic hardware development processes and tools. Processes include basic problem solving techniques (5 phase, 7 step, 8D or similar), design for EMC robustness, design for manufacturing, familiarity with embedded electronic hardware development process, requirements analysis. Tools include worst case analysis, circuit simulation (Saber, Cadence PSpice, or equivalent), DFMEA/PFMEA, Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), schematic capture, PCB layout (Mentor Graphics, Zuken, or equivalent), Specification Compliance Matrix (or equivalent).
Obtains input and negotiates with electronic suppliers and software development teams and delivers prototype hardware to application engineering teams.
Makes decisions in the areas of hardware requirements, design, validation and test that impact unit cost, functionality, and prototype delivery.
Responsible for review of less-experienced developers/testers’ work to ensure robust, reusable, and efficient design
Provides independent leadership of smaller business impact projects or ownership of complex components, products, systems or services with greater elements of ambiguity over the senior or lead engineer level and with full accountability to the project team.
Delivers independent execution of established and emerging work processes and systems, while still developing technology or product knowledge.
Leads the development and improvement of work processes and systems across a functional discipline area within a business unit site.
Coordinates and directs work amongst technicians and temporary student employees, assists in the transfer of knowledge to lesser experienced engineers through either indirect (scope of influence) or direct management of a small, local group of engineers.
Provides support and guidance to influence technical direction within a project team and continues to develop proficiency in the competency areas critical to success in the role.
Operates as a recognized specialist in a discipline or product area within the immediate team.
Design and Application of Digital Electronics – Specifies components and architectures of electronic control units; applies electronic control units in Cummins’ products.
Design and Application of Mechatronics Systems – Specifies electronic hardware and interconnections that measure and control systems; applies electronic hardware and interconnections in Cummins’ products.
Mechanical Design of Electrical Systems – Creates electrical system or electronics-based design or architecture concepts through specific knowledge of electrified (or electrical-based) systems to ensure a system design that adheres to both Cummins and customer expectations.
Product Failure Mode Avoidance – Mitigates potential product failure modes, by identifying interfaces, functions, functional requirements, interactions, control factors, noise factors, and prioritized potential failure modes and potential failure causes for the system of interest to effectively and efficiently improve the reliability of Cummins’ products.
Product Problem Solving – Solves product problems using a process that protects the customer; determines the assignable cause; implements robust, data-based solutions; and identifies the systemic root causes and recommended actions to prevent problem reoccurrence.
Product Verification and Validation Management – Develops product systems validation plans from a variety of inputs to identify failure modes, while managing product risk and relative priority; negotiates product requirements against capability to guide project scope; evaluates analytical, simulation and physical test results to verify product capability and validate requirements; assesses legacy versus proposed system solution capabilities and produces recommendations with technical documentation to support product decisions.
Decision quality – Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
Drives results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
Communicates effectively – Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Builds networks – Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
Resourcefulness – Securing and deploying resources effectively and efficiently.
Manages complexity – Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
College, university, or equivalent Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or other relevant technical disciplines is required. Post-graduate (Master’s) degree relevant to this discipline area may be required for select roles.
This position may require licensing for compliance with export controls or sanctions regulations.
Prior Senior or Lead Engineer equivalent work experience in a relevant discipline area is required with a demonstrated track record of technical problem solving and quality decision making. Knowledge of MS Office tools is preferred
Additional Key Responsibilities:
- Develop electric machine thermal models to simulate cooling and validate against hardware (oil spray cooling, etc.)
- Design hairpin winding solutions for minimum space and greatest efficiency/cooling performance
- Collaborate with power electronics, electric machines, and software team to develop electric solutions for commercial vehicles
- Collaborate with legacy design resources (those without background/knowledge in electric machines)
- Advise project teams with fabrication and manufacturing solutions
- Be a local expert on electric machine potting materials and techniques
- Establish e-machine design practice leading to ESW basis in this technology
- Help to integrate, test, and troubleshoot e-machines in electric- and hybrid-electric powertrains
- Help to develop hardware-in-the-loop test benches for power electronics, motors, and controlsAdditional Key Skills:
- Basic knowledge of multi-phase electric machines and power engineering
- Knowledge of various motor topologies (PM, Induction, Synch-Reluctance, Switched Reluctance, etc.)
- Strong understanding of different motor architectures and winding theory
- Ability in building and modeling different electric machines for electrical and mechanical robustness in application
- Proficient in working with different simulation tools including Matlab/Simulink, Ansys/MotorCAD, CREO-CFD and thermal analysis tools
- Hardware experience in design, testing, and validation of high-speed electric machines
- Hardware experience in the integration of electric machines to geartrains, transmissions, etc.
- Analytical skills in resolving electrical power and thermal design challenges
- Involvement in high speed motor manufacturing development