Carpenter Technology Corporation is a leading producer and distributor of premium specialty alloys, including titanium alloys, nickel and cobalt based superalloys, stainless steels, alloy steels and tool steels. Carpenter Technology’s high-performance materials and advanced process solutions are an integral part of critical applications used within the aerospace, transportation, medical and energy markets, among other markets. Building on its history of innovation, Carpenter Technology’s wrought and powder technology capabilities support a range of next-generation products and manufacturing techniques, including novel magnetic materials and additive manufacturing.
The Applications Engineer will be tasked to expertly understand and represent engineering and other product design requirements for the Electronics and Electrification industry and connect those requirements to Carpenter’s product portfolio and value proposition. A strong candidate will assist Carpenter in identifying new and innovative applications for current products to fuel Carpenter growth, working closely with potential customers to drive product adoption.
The Application Engineer is at the core of the consultative sales process and complements our expanding Electrification market team with rich technical competency. Experience with business development activity are plus.
This role is frequently one that is first to be in contact with a new customer; therefore, it is critical to provide a positive impression of Carpenter and our product offering, set proper expectations, communicate technical information accurately and convey a go-to expertise in relevant engineering and product functions. In many cases the successful Application Engineer will partner with customer resources to convey joint value propositions that create new benefits for the customer and end consumers.
Seeking Engineers with Product Design and Processing experience of innovative Electronics component, Electric vehicles, Motor, Transformer & Generators, either OEM’s or Tier 1 suppliers with natural / demonstrated commercial and relationship-building acumen. This role can lead to more senior commercial or product development leadership positions.
- Be the expert on customers’ technical and manufacturing challenges – keep track of latest developments, buying criteria and market trends impacting product usage. Understand and work to address customer unmet needs utilizing Carpenter’s broad product portfolio.
- Working experience with downstream processing on Electrical steel such as Stamping, Annealing, Stacking, wound Core manufacturing, Magnetic Testing.
- Working experience with product design of key innovative Electronics products; track trend, identify problems for material innovation
- Work proactively to qualify Carpenter’s products with users and identify opportunities to improve their manufacturing processes.
- Provide technical assistance to Carpenter’s sales force to answer customer questions related to prioritized growth initiatives
- Liaise with end users to provide technical support and receive feedback on product performance
- Communicate product enhancement requests from customer to product management in a manner that identifies the customer’s business need and a proposed solution
- Grow Carpenter’s leadership position at industry trade shows, conferences and similar events
- Build relationships with industry groups and certification bodies to define future specifications and influence the market
- Monitor competitor activity to identify changes and trends in design and materials. Benchmark Carpenter’s product portfolio versus alternatives.
- Author technical documentation, RFQs, best practices, white papers and case studies in support of a sales opportunities
- With sales management, assist by communicating extensive product, technological and practical knowledge in a confident and adroit manner as required during sales visits, web conferences, and teleconferences
- With market leads and sales management, define and implement customer development plans.
- With market leads and product management, define and implement specific marketing approaches to support sales growth of products in each market
- With product management, identify future unmet needs for customers and design products to meet them
- With product management, develop or contribute to marketing communications with technical knowledge, best practices, product reference guides and demonstrations
- With R&D, validate requirements for new products. Build technical relationships with potential launch customers
- Perform all of the above requirements in an independent and reliable manner
- Four-year college degree in Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Materials Science or relevant technical degree / experience
- Masters or PHD in magnetic
- Fresh MBA Plus
- Typically 2 or more years’ experience in Product Design technical sales / application engineering, technical marketing or other technical customer-facing roles, combined with consistently strong performance
- Direct work experience with leading electrification companies a plus. Established relationships with decision makers in one or more of these companies is highly preferred.
- Prior experience working in Product Design team is highly preferred
- Prior application engineering experience is preferred.
- Ecosystem knowledge of metal value chain for the Consumer Products industry. Understanding of cost and profit drivers along with decision making processes
- Specialized knowledge of material science principles, standards, methods and practices
- Combination of technical aptitude and consultative capabilities with a commercial focus, including technical marketing and application engineering
- Excellent customer relationship skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including presentation development and delivery
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office and CRM
- Perform all other duties and projects as assigned.