With more than 37 years as a major research consortium, WEMPEC is honored by the sponsorship of companies worldwide.
The WEMPEC Program Plan details the goals, core principles, and operating practices of WEMPEC.
Should you decide to become a sponsor, you will need to fill out and sign the Memorandum-Agreement form and return it to the WEMPEC office:
2559D Engineering Hall
1415 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706-1691
or email an electronic copy to Administrative Director Kathy Young at firstname.lastname@example.org
Kathy will then generate an invoice for the sponsorship fee, which is presently $17,500 per year per sponsoring unit. When the sponsorship fee has been received, you’re a WEMPEC sponsor!
For more detail on WEMPEC, our research, and our history, see our 35th Anniversary Booklet.
Frequently Asked Questions
May a sponsor join WEMPEC at any time during the year?
Yes! Our policies are specifically designed for sponsors to join at any time during the year.
I see that the Memorandum Agreement form has a place for a multi-year commitment, is it OK to put 0 there if we are first trying out WEMPEC sponsorship?
Yes! Any number that is put there is considered to be a helpful indication for our planning purposes; we recognize it is not a commitment on the part of the sponsor. We welcome sponsors who want to try WEMPEC sponsorship for a year.
How is sponsorship renewal handled for future years?
We invoice the renewal of your WEMPEC sponsorship several months before your sponsor anniversary date. We consider your sponsorship anniversary to be the first of the month closest to when your first payment was received.
Does WEMPEC sponsorship have any tax benefits?
WEMPEC sponsorship is a gift to the University of Wisconsin Foundation. It is not a fee for services. You should inform your tax accountants so that they can determine the tax status of the contribution.
What are the main benefits of WEMPEC sponsorship?
- Attend Annual Reviews: Attendance at the 2-day Annual Review meeting is the highlight of the year at WEMPEC. It is available to sponsors in good standing only, and covers more than 60 research projects. This meeting is the highlight of our interaction with our sponsors. See here for more information.
- Access to Faculty: WEMPEC faculty will assist sponsors with technical issues both informally and formally. They will respond informally to emails and phone calls. Formally, sponsors can schedule a Technical Review Meeting. This is a half-day meeting to discuss technical topics of your choosing with WEMPEC faculty. It is a consulting session and all information you provide is confidential. Topics range from immediate technically challenging issues to technology roadmaps. Often, a sponsored research project will develop from these Technology Review meetings.
- Access to Students: WEMPEC fosters several ways sponsors can develop relationships with our students. Sponsors are given the opportunity to present a seminar to them. You can also see the Seminar Agenda. This contact introduces the students to the company and your work and assists in hiring students either for Internships or full-time positions. We facilitate sending sponsor jobs to our students and assist with interviews as well.
- Stay Informed: Sponsors have convenient online access to all technical papers, reports, and MS & PhD Theses produced by WEMPEC researchers. The list goes back 37 years to the founding of WEMPEC and we usually post papers before they are presented at a conference. We send out a monthly newsletter that highlights new papers that are on the website and available for sponsors to view.
- Sponsor Research Projects: Research projects are separate and distinct from WEMPEC sponsorship; although WEMPEC sponsors are given priority. These involve formal contracts with the University of Wisconsin – Madison, which incorporate defined terms and conditions and deliverables to your company. If you sponsor a research project, you can have an engineer on-site working with WEMPEC students and faculty so your company receives first-hand knowledge of the project. See here for more details.
- Other Sponsor Benefits:
- Discounts for short courses.
- Royalty credits for licensing WEMPEC IP. Sponsors can negotiate a non-exclusive license for WEMPEC patents and there is a credit for royalty fees that is applied if the patented technology was developed during the time of your sponsorship.
As a sponsor, am I obligated to keep WEMPEC research confidential?
The Memorandum Agreement obligates you to keep WEMPEC research confidential – of course, until it is publicly available through published papers. This is necessary because we sometimes share research details with sponsors that are not published elsewhere and we must protect our Intellectual Property position – for the benefit of all of our sponsors.
In addition, we ask that you respect your sponsorship benefits by not sharing or distributing papers or other project reports which are available only to sponsors with engineers who are not within your sponsoring unit.
How do I sponsor a research project?
Research projects are separate and distinct from WEMPEC sponsorship; although WEMPEC sponsors are given priority. These involve formal contracts with the University of Wisconsin – Madison, which incorporate defined terms and conditions and deliverables to your company. If you sponsor a research project, you can have an engineer on-site working with WEMPEC students and faculty so your company receives first-hand knowledge of the project. To initiate a research project, contact the appropriate WEMPEC faculty member to develop a Statement of Work and a budget. See here for more details.
We have a corporate sponsorship but some engineers in my company don't have access to the website and can't register for the Annual Review, why is that?
To be fair to Sponsors from different sized corporations, each Sponsor is asked to identify a WEMPEC “sponsoring unit”. There is no “corporate” sponsorship. A corporation can have up to five sponsoring units. A Sponsoring Unit is a group of engineers under one budget and who support a single business unit or corporate research group, and are usually at one location.
The broad sponsor base benefits sponsoring companies because each sponsoring unit has its own direct connection to WEMPEC that is tailored to its specific needs. It benefits WEMPEC by providing enhanced opportunities for students, the freedom to explore long-term research and to “seed” new areas, new Faculty and/or new Students.
How are sponsor contributions used?
The funds contributed by the Sponsors are used to provide:
• Research assistant and tuition remission support for graduate Students. The vast majority of sponsor funds are used to directly support students.
• Funds for research laboratory equipment and computers.
• Funds for administrative Staff, travel, publication costs, seminar speakers, visits to Sponsors, program conferences and other miscellaneous needs.