At Trane Technologies we are passionate about inspiring progress around the world. We advance the quality of life by creating comfortable, sustainable and efficient environments. Our people and our family of brands—including Thermo King® and Trane®, work together to enhance the quality and comfort of air in homes and buildings; transport and protect food and perishables; and increase industrial productivity and efficiency. We are a global business committed to a world of sustainable progress and enduring results. For more information, visit www.tranetechnologies.com. Trane Technologies is a diverse and inclusive environment. We are an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to hiring a diverse workforce; including individuals with disabilities and United States qualified protected veterans.
The modelling and simulation engineer will develop key technologies to test electric drives and motors using hardware-in-the loop (HIL) systems. This position will involve working in state-of-the-art laboratories with subject matter experts and include opportunities to publish key project findings in conference proceedings and technical journals.
Major responsibilities include
• Multiple areas centered around electric drives and motors including modelling and simulation, controls, finite element analysis, HIL simulation and validation etc.
• Support the implementation of motor model and controls for a PHIL based test platform.
• Commission a benchtop simulator of a Motor Emulator system using a real time platform like Speedgoat
• Develop automated test scripts.
• Interface with USA, Finland and India modeling and simulation groups to look for opportunities for common integration.
• Understand drive motor control algorithm for various motor types
• Perform in-depth analysis utilizing analytical tools available in the industry.
• Maintain a high level of technical knowledge in the areas of electric drives to maximize productivity, quality and drive business growth.
• Author lab test plans, conduct testing, analyze and interpret results and execute design updates based on the results.
• Provide guidance and leadership to designers, lab technicians and other team members.
• Develop project plans, prioritize tasks, and provide regular project updates.
• Write clear technical reports and present results in formal and informal environments.
• Maintain/develop software tools to improve development, testing, and trouble shooting.
• Work with software, mechanical, and reliability engineers across Trane Technologies to develop system requirements.
• Support development of qualification test standards for power electronics.
Experience/Skills and Education
• Masters or PhD candidate in the field of Power Electronics, Controls or Machines
• 3.0 GPA minimum required
• 1-2 years of similar co-op/intern or work experience.
• Working knowledge of MATLAB – Simulink modelling, script development, GUI’s. Proficiency required.
• Experience with Hardware In Loop(HIL) based platforms such as Opal-RT, Speedgoat, dSPACE is desired.
• Firm grasp of engineering fundamentals.
• Self-motivated, willing to take initiative, able to function effectively in independent and team based situations.
• Ability to work in a laboratory environment for extended duration, author test plans, coordinate testing with lab staff and reviewing results.
• Must be adept at report writing and presenting technical information to a wide audience.
• Strong written and oral communication skills required with good interpersonal skills, able to express concepts and ideas with clarity
• Previous engineering internships preferred.
Work Location: 4833 White Bear Parkway White Bear Lake, MN 55110
Travel: 50% to La Crosse, WI
Co-op: June 1, 2021 – December 31, 2021
Contact Information: If you are interested in this position or would like to learn more about it, contact Kyle Hanson at email@example.com.